Friday, November 23, 2012

Elbe - 23.11.12

This morning I was awakened at about 9 to the sound of children playing, which was actually quite nice for a change.  I got up and had a great German breakfast of rolls, cheese, and meats.  I was also introduced to a tasty combination of Nutella and cream cheese.  After a relaxing morning, I hit the road.  Actually I hit the railroad.
On the way home I saw the Müllers, some of my friends from my mission.  It was good to see them again.
When I got to Hamburg, I got out of the train at Landungsbrücken and walked through the old Elbe tunnel, which was built in the days of Emperor Wilhelm II.  They didn't have enough room in the city to make ramps down to the tunnel, so there are four car-sized elevators at both entrances which go straight down to below the river.  As usual, Wikipedia has a better picture than mine, but neither picture can capture the awesomeness of walking down 133 stairs through turn-of-the-20th-century-style heavy steel structures.
My refrigerator space now consists of cheese, cheese for frying, cheesecake, and cake.  I need to go grocery shopping.

1 comment: