Monday, October 29, 2012

The Copenhagen Interpretation - 29.10.12

It was the longest day. It was the shortest day.
I awoke from my nap a little earlier than anticipated.  I got to skype with my mom from outside the church on the temple grounds.  I'd never done a video call from outside before.
I got on the train at 11:30 with a ticket that wasn't valid until the 29th and I got my ticket checked twice, but neither time was anything said.  I took a train through the Rhine river valley to Cologne then Hamburg.  I kind of slept most of the time in the train.  Then I got on a little train to Copenhagen.  I wondered why it was so short until we went slowly into a well-lit tunnel, everybody got out of the train, and we went up an elevator.  We were on a train in a big boat!
I didn't want to have my first experience with the Baltic sea be tainted by heating and windows, so I sat out on the deck for the whole ferry ride, mostly by myself.
After the ferry ride, we got back into the train in the boat and the train took us into Denmark.  I said "Hi" to Thorvaldsen's Christus:
I went and stood where my great great grandmother stood:
There are a lot more cars and bikes than there were back then:
Now I'm exhausted.  I'm going to sleep in my little hostel.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Where did you get that picture, and how did you find the house? That's so cool!
    I think you're a bit taller than our great great grandmother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a photo of that house via Bud Hicks, a few years ago, when he went to see Daddy. Can you send me that photo via e-mail??? I am working on some history, and would love to have that! Awesome experience you are having. I am frankly green with envy. I have always wanted to travel to Denmark.

    ReplyDelete