Monday, October 8, 2012

Autostadt - 8.10.12

We dropped little Sam off at kindergarten and I was dropped off at the Autostadt in Wolfsburg.  It's like going to car heaven.  I started by riding the car lift up about 30 layers into the car storage tower to look around.  Then I went to the little car museum and saw, among many other classic German cars, a vintage 1899 Benz Velo.  There were also a few more modern cars to look at:
The best part by far was the factory tour.  We took a boat over to the factory, then we were taken around the factory by bus while the tour guide pointed out the Nazi architectural features, some of which have been removed, and mentioned which sovereign countries are the size of the different buildings of the factory.  It is simply gigantic.  We went inside and looked from an observation deck down at the army of 6-axis industrial robots quickly welding car frames together.  That is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen, but we weren't allowed to take pictures.  I think every engineering student ought to go to Wolfsburg personally.
On the way home, I sang a little Haydn in the train to get ready for my choir tryout in a few weeks. This evening and tomorrow I've got a little bit of work to do to get ready for my trip to Holland.

1 comment:

  1. Which choir are you auditioning for? How did the other passengers like your singing?

    ReplyDelete