Monday, October 22, 2012

Ausländerbehörde - 22.10.12

Imagine a DMV that is only open for four hours each of the three days it is open each week.  Now imagine it without anybody speaking the same language, literally.  Welcome to my morning.
Last week I got a letter informing me that my visa had arrived in Pinneberg.  Hooray!  So I just got pick it up, right?  Wrong!  The letter contained more paperwork I needed to fill out which contained the same information as my application, a checkbox to verify I'm not a terrorist, etc.  The office I needed to bring it to, the Ausländerbehörde for the Pinneberg county, is in Elmshorn.  I got up very early and took 3 trains to the town hall in Elmshorn and asked where the office was.  Nobody knew exactly.  After finding out by calling Ralf, I walked the 5 kilometers to the outskirts of town where the Ausländerbehörde is in a little office building. and began the waiting process.  A few hours later, I had the temporary visa in my hand:
It's a beautiful document covered in stamps and signatures with a cool pattern in the background about as detailed as the curvy pattern in the background of a dollar bill.  It's nice to have, but I still don't have my official visa.  At least I have deep fried cheese covered in jam in my mouth right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment