Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tag der Deutschen Einheit - 3.10.12

Today is Tag der Deutschen Einheit, the 22nd anniversary of the unification of Germany.  I'm turning 23 in a few weeks, so that means I have more history than Germany, right?
After doing my laundry, I went on an epic bike ride.  I just rode wherever I felt like going until 3:00, when I got to the Stadtpark Hamburg, then I turned around and headed back.
Along the way I saw many fields with corn, cows, and horses. Immediately over the border from Schleswig-Holstein to Hamburg is city.  I traced the route I rode online, and it was about 56 km.  That's 34.7 miles, for those of you who prefer archaic units.  Here's a little trick: if anyone ever tells you a distance in kilometers that's close to a Fibonacci number, like 55, the distance in miles is close to the previous Fibonacci number, in this case 34.  I knew there was a reason to memorize Fibonacci numbers.

1 comment:

  1. Um, that's pretty much the most awesome thing I've ever heard! I will totally use that all the time-- as long as the distance in km is less than 14.

    ReplyDelete