Monday, October 15, 2012

Miracle in Maintal - 12.10.12

I had some time to work some more with Talumis before my train came, so I went and set up a web server, did some programming, and answered some questions.  Then Steven took me to the Utrecht train station and put me on a train.  It wasn't long until I was in Frankfurt, as you can see by the train display.  We were going too fast to take a picture of the glorious sunset over the German autumn.
I made my way to Frankfurt Ostbahnhof, which is in the scary abandoned part of Frankfurt.  I waited for the little train, which is the only way to get to my destination in Maintal.  One train was canceled, and they don't come very often.  The next train was also canceled.  I was starting to get a little worried when a woman came to the train station I was at, also wanting to go to Maintal.  We talked a little bit.  She works at a publisher in Stuttgart, so she's in Frankfurt for the Buchmesse, and wanted to visit her parents in Maintal.  So there we were: two well dressed businesspeople stuck in the run-down part of Frankfurt.  She called her father, and we took a streetcar to where her father picked us up by car and took us to his house, which is right around the corner from the family at whose house I will sleep, the Kleins.  It was simply a miracle that the only person I saw was the only way to get right where I needed to go.
So now I'm going to sleep at the Kleins' house.  They're like my German surrogate grandparents.  Talking with them is quite nostalgic.  I visited them a lot on my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment