Sunday, December 16, 2012

Weihnachtskonzert - 15.12.12

I got up at 5:30 this morning and took trains to Neumünster and then to Kiel.  I had a lovely walk along the port.  I've never been to Hawaii, but I imagine the Baltic Sea during December is pretty much the same experience:

I arrived at the Petruskirche in Kiel.  It's a cool old Catholic church whose roof is an upside-down hull.  I guess there are more shipbuilders than architects in Kiel, but it looks really cool and the acoustics are quite good:

We practiced, did some recording, sang in an old-folks home, and prepared for our concert.  We sang the same songs as the other concert (Vivaldi, Haydn, etc.) but we did a much better job.  When I was told that we needed to have a second encore ready, I thought, "who do we think we are?"  Some important politician talked about our charity contribution (Schleswig-Holstein something Vorsitzender), we gave our concert, and we gave the two encores after standing ovations.  After the second encore, though, the person who introduced us took the microphone and asked for another encore.  We sang our Noel song again, and after a few minutes of applause we left the stage.  It was an amazing night.  I'm glad Ralf and Anke were there, since I don't have any family in Germany.
We went to various church members to spend the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment